Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Splashes of Color

After my morning at Montrose the day before, I had all evidence I needed that migration was really beginning to pick up. With less time to get out on the 5th, I headed to my favorite local haunt, which I honestly think is the single best northeast Illinois location for migrants away from the lakefront. Even after being emptied of nearly all its understory in April, the place was still hopping this Spring. There are many more May blog posts coming, so I'll keep this one short.

Among other things, Elsen's Hill is one of the most reliable spots for Golden-winged Warbler, which is reason enough for it to be such an attraction.

Golden-winged Warbler
Elsen's Hill, DuPage Co, IL
May 5, 2015

I only wound up finding a couple pockets of migrants, but the warblers were definitely starting to show up.

Orange-crowned Warbler
Elsen's Hill, DuPage Co, IL
May 5, 2015




Blue-winged Warbler
Elsen's Hill, DuPage Co, IL
May 5, 2015

Chestnut-sided Warbler
Elsen's Hill, DuPage Co, IL
May 5, 2015

Magnolia Warbler
Elsen's Hill, DuPage Co, IL
May 5, 2015

Warbling Vireo
Elsen's Hill, DuPage Co, IL
May 5, 2015

Away from feeders, it's not all that frequent to get looks a male Ruby-throat perched like this, so this was a treat.

Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Elsen's Hill, DuPage Co, IL
May 5, 2015

The highlight of this otherwise dreary morning came in the form of the most cooperative Baltimore Oriole I have ever encountered. It just fed a little above eye level about ten feet away from me, paying me no attention whatsoever. I kept expecting it to fly off, but it never did! It's a common bird, but getting to see one so well reminded me of what a brilliant species it actually is.






Baltimore Oriole
Elsen's Hill, DuPage Co, IL
May 5, 2015

What a bird!



No comments:

Post a Comment